Wedding festivities turned into horrific scenes of horror and bloodshed in southern Turkey on Saturday night, where a terror bombing attack on an outdoor wedding celebration left 50 dead and 94 injured.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Sunday that the Islamic State (ISIS) was the “likely perpetrator”, though it has not been officially confirmed. No one has yet taken credit for the attack, which is thought to have been a suicide bombing.
Deputy Prime Minister Mehmet Simsek called the attack “a massacre of unprecedented cruelty and barbarism.”
— AFP news agency (@AFP) August 20, 2016
The blast occurred at an outdoor wedding in the southern city of Gaziantep, which is near the Syrian border. The city is known to harbor several ISIS cells.
Turkey has seen a rash of terror attacks and violence in recent months. Last month, a bloody failed coup attempt to overthrow the Erdogan-led Turkish government left over 260 people dead. In June, a gun and bomb attack on the Atatürk international airport left over 40 people dead. In March, Kurdish militants killed 37 in a suicide car bombing in the city of Ankara, and in February, 28 were killed, also in Ankara, in an attack on a military convoy.
Turkey security forces have blamed the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK), a group of separatist rebels, for a number of the attacks.
Erdogan said following the Saturday attack that there was “no difference” between ISIS and the PKK.