Social Media Outlets Commit to Kick Terror to the Curb

“Thou shalt not utter a false report; put not thy hand with the wicked to be an unrighteous witness.” Exodus 23:1 (The Israel Bible™)

Facebook, YouTube and Twitter users who employ the social media channels to share and encourage their pro-terrorism sentiments will be seeing newly enforced action against them, reported The Times of Israel on Wednesday.

The aforementioned platforms, in addition to Microsoft, agreed to partner up in order to bring an end to the spread of terrorism-related content that is rapidly spreading online. The prevalent pro-terror information available to social media users all over the world is believed to be a prominent tool for recruiting and radicalization by the Islamic State (ISIS) and other similar groups.

Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg. (Frederic Legrand – COMEO / Shutterstock.com)

“There is no place for content that promotes terrorism on our hosted consumer services. When alerted, we take swift action against this kind of content in accordance with our respective policies,” read a statement released on Monday by the various companies.

In order to combat the images and videos being used to incite followers to carry out attacks, the social media teams asserted they will be creating a “shared industry database of…unique digital “fingerprints” (called hashes) for violent terrorist imagery” that were previously removed from the services offered by the channels.

“By sharing this information with each other, we may use the shared hashes to help identify potential terrorist content on our respective hosted consumer platforms,” said the statement. “We hope this collaboration will lead to greater efficiency as we continue to enforce our policies to help curb the pressing global issue of terrorist content online,” it continued.

[ubm_premium banners=460 count=1]

Each company will reserve the right to determine what constitutes terrorist content as well as independently decide which image and video hashes to share in the database. Further, every company “will continue to apply its practice of transparency and review for any government requests, as well as retain its own appeal process for removal decisions and grievances.”

“We are committed to protecting our users’ privacy and their ability to express themselves freely and safely on our platforms,” the statement affirmed in its conclusion.

It is anticipated that the program will begin in early 2017. The four companies said they would look to collaborate with additional corporations in the future.