Lebanese Prime Minister Saad al-Hariri asked the United Nations Friday for help in forging a permanent cease-fire with Israel.
“I urge the U.N. secretary-general to support efforts to secure, as soon as possible, a state of permanent ceasefire. This is long overdue and my government is committed to move this agenda forward,” Hariri said, Reuters reported.
The prime minister criticized the tour, calling it “unacceptable”.
IDF spokesman Lt. Col. Peter Lerner said in a Facebook post the tour put on by Hezbollah was a “show” for the media and an effort by the terror group to “shake their sabers and pound their chests.”
“We are indeed constructing defensive measures along the border with Lebanon,” Lerner wrote. “These measures are in place because we value the lives of the people of Israel. Hezbollah on the other hand intentionally places their assets beneath the houses, schools, clinics and the people of Lebanon.”
Israel and Hezbollah last fought a war in 2006. Since then, an uneasy truce has emerged despite Hezbollah amassing an estimated 100,000-150,000 rockets pointed at Israel. Hezbollah has also threatened to invade and occupy towns in northern Israel in any future conflict.