Embassy Staff Pulled Home to Israel After Guard Stabbed by Jordanian Terrorist

“My bones stick to my skin and flesh; I escape with the skin of my teeth.” Job 19:20 (The Israel Bible™)

An Israeli embassy security guard who was stabbed by a Jordanian terrorist Sunday has returned to Israel following a tense diplomatic standoff between the neighboring countries.

All Israeli diplomats serving in the Arab nation, including Ambassador to Jordan Einat Shlain and the security guard, arrived in Israel Monday night.

“All are in good health,” the Israeli Prime Minister’s Office said, adding that the diplomats’ return “was made possible by the close cooperation that took place in the last 24 hours between Israel and Jordan.”

Amid Israeli-Jordanian tension over Jerusalem’s Temple Mount holy site, Mohammed Jawawdeh, 17, a worker who was at the Israeli embassy compound in Amman to install furniture, had stabbed the Israeli security guard in the stomach with a screwdriver before being fatally shot Sunday. A Jordanian doctor, who owned the building where the attack took place, was hit by a stray bullet during the incident and also died of his injuries.

Jordanian authorities sought to detain and interrogate the Israeli security guard, who had secured himself at the embassy. But Israel refused to hand him over.

Nadav Argaman, head of Israel’s Shin Bet security agency, flew to Amman Monday to meet with Jordanian officials in an attempt to diffuse the situation between the two countries, which have had a peace treaty since 1994.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu also spoke with Jordan’s King Abdullah Monday. Following the discussion, Abdullah’s office said the Jordanian leader “stressed the need to find an immediate solution and remove the causes of the ongoing crisis.” The Jordanian Islamic Waqf administers the Temple Mount, where Israel had installed metal detectors to prevent future terror attacks such as the July 14 killing of two Israeli policemen.

Subscribe to our mailing list